Civil engineering cover letter
View this sample cover letter for civil engineering, or download the civil engineering cover letter template in Word.
As a civil engineer, you know how to design and build great structures—but how are you at composing your cover letter? To be considered for top civil engineering jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for civil engineering, or download the civil engineering cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about engineering careers and look for civil engineering jobs on Monster.
Civil engineering cover letter template
Lena Marks, EIT
Sometown, AZ 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com | Portfolio URL
November 8, 2017
Ms. Diane Smith
55 Circle Point
Sometown, AZ 55555
Re: Civil Engineer Trainee III u Advertised on Monster
Dear Ms. Smith:
Your civil engineer trainee position is an exciting opportunity. ABC Company’s stellar reputation for providing quality service and project support to your clients is well-known, and I am motivated to join your team.
Highlights of my credentials:
- BS in civil engineering and Engineer in Training (EIT) certification from NCEES.
- Two years of experience as a civil engineer trainee and intern for premier design firms.
- Hands-on experience providing project design and site civil engineering leadership for water, wastewater, roadway and other municipal infrastructure projects in Sometown, AZ.
- Delivery of on-schedule, on-budget and high-quality completion of infrastructure projects with varying degrees of complexity and budgets ranging from $500K to $6.8M.
- Proficient in preparing drawings and technical specs using AutoCAD Civil 3D and MicroStation.
In addition, I have worked closely with licensed PEs to save our clients and employers tens of thousands of dollars while maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements. I have provided creative, cost-effective design solutions to issues including erosion, corrosive groundwater, insufficient water inflow/drainage, soil instability, steep-slope grading and other engineering challenges.
If my credentials and strong understanding of municipal water and wastewater infrastructure systems are well matched to your needs, please contact me at (555) 555-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview. Thanks very much.
Lena Marks, EIT
Engineering Intern Cover Letter
Engineering Interns are entry-level employees, often students, who assist engineering teams to gain hands-on experience in their profession. Essential job duties of an Engineering Intern are helping to develop hardware, running tests, ensuring system safety, assisting with launch operations, completing data analysis, completing tasks as assigned by engineers, taking corrective action in case of non-compliance, following work instructions, liaising with suppliers, and observing engineering operations.
A successful cover letter sample for Engineering Intern should focus on skills and qualifications like:
- Engineering expertise
- Being able to follow verbal and written instructions
- An interest in learning new things
- Knowledge of safety standards
- Computer competences
- Availability for work in shifts
- A good academic record
- Attention to details and accuracy
- Effective communication
Below is displayed a cover letter sample for Engineering Intern demonstrating similar abilities and qualities.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Engineering Intern Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Herrera:
I am sending you the enclosed resume in response to learning of your search for an Engineering Intern. With my avid interest and ongoing education in civil engineering, as well as my skills in team collaboration and project support, I feel confident that I would significantly benefit your organization in this capacity.
My hands-on practicum experience coupled with the growing knowledge base I am amassing during my education at Wyoming State University prepares me to make a solid contribution in an internship position. With a solid foundation in the basics of civil engineering—including urban and regional studies and strategic planning—I am more than prepared to put my knowledge and abilities to work for you, while also gaining immeasurable experience and transferable skills to enable me to advance in my career pursuits. Furthermore, my organizational, communication, and leadership abilities position me ready to thrive in this challenging field.
Highlights of my background include…
- Preparing to achieve a BS degree in Civil Engineering from Wyoming State University, performing in-depth research, designing engineering project plans and strategies, writing detailed reports, and delivering formal presentations—all while demonstrating a consistently superior academic record.
- Completing an internship with the City of Jackson Hole, studying, dismantling, and ultimately working to improve KVA diesel generators within city buildings.
- Observing and analyzing staff throughout my internship to learn more about the time and motion requirements of job responsibilities.
- Participating in team-oriented projects and leading peers to project success while also excelling within more independent roles.
- Demonstrating a keen willingness to learn, an adaptable and flexible work ethic, the ability to accurately follow instructions, and a sharp technical aptitude.
With my previous excellent academic-based and internship experience, coupled with my enthusiasm and dedication to achieving success, I believe I could swiftly exceed your expectations as your next Engineering Intern. I look forward to discussing this opportunity in detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Kenneth W. Mullins